Friday, February 19, 2010

A hill of beans

One of the staples of a vegetarian diet (ok, of our vegetarian diet) is beans. Great source of protein and fiber, and really, just yummy. While the canned variety are good, and I use them frequently, enjoy using dried beans whenever I can. Especially when I am making something in the slow cooker. One of the really good things about having the weekly meal schedule is that I can build in the time to pre-soak the beans. I love to see the small "hill" of beans I start with grow into a big, nutritious, filling meal.


Tonight's Shabbat dinner is chili. I got it all assembled last night and put the stoneware from the slow cooker into the refrigerator. All I had to do this morning was put the stoneware into the base and turn it on. Gotta love a meal that cooks itself!!

In tonight's chili we have five kinds of beans (black, pinto, great northern, pink kidney and black eyed peas), canned diced tomatoes, some grape tomatoes, squash, onion, garlic, split peas and texturized vegetable protein.


And, since it is Friday, we will of course have Challah... Thank you to my fellow mommies who came over and played with us and helped make two different kinds of Challah today! I can't wait to have our next play-date!!

No comments:

Post a Comment