Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Quiche me!!

I love quiche. Eggs, veggies, cheese and yummy pie crust. What's not to love?!
Now, keeping Kosher, pie crusts have been an issue in the past. Many store-bought crusts contain lard. Kosher no-no. So I started making crusts myself. But, being lactose intolerant, I try not to over-do the butter thing. So when I started, I was making my crusts with margarine. They tasted good, but were a little tough. I thought I was stuck with this issue. But I learned that there is always an alternative...! Introduce vegetable shortening. I tried making crusts with shortening once and have never turned back. I now LOVE my pie crusts! Flaky, crispy, and light. So good! I also love my pie weights... I understand the need for pie weights when crusts need to be blind-baked. But who wants to buy something else to clutter up the kitchen? My solution? Not exactly rocket science, not exactly unique... Dried beans and rice! I had some white rice, which I no longer use (I like the flavor of brown rice better...), some old white beans that were probably no good any more, and some baked chick peas I had gotten but wasn't liking (I make my own which I like better. Apparently I am a snob?). Useful, easy, and I don't worry if something happens to them!


Tonight's quiche was broccoli, onion, garlic and cheddar cheese. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment