Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The upper crust, for sure (BBD #56)

I have only once participated in the Bread Baking Day festivities.  When my sister hosted.  Well, this month my friend Jenni from The Gingered Whisk hosted, and she had such a fun idea I wanted to try my hand.  Jenni challenged us to make bread beautiful.  Pretty much any bread and any decoration would work, she just wanted us to make a purposefully beautified bread. 
I decided to make Mark Bittman's French bread, which I have made before.  I formed two boules so I could decorate one and someone else could do the other.  I though that other person would be Big Girl, but the timing just wasn't going to allow that.  So Hubby got recruited...!
The "canvases," which grew up rather than out in baking...!
The paints: egg yolk mixed with one drop of food coloring:
Hubby's inspiration - his favorite sport and favorite team:
My design -  just going for color and pretty...
Trying to take advantage of that extra side space...
Glazing for a nice shine:
Hubby's "ball" of bread!
My garden ball!
Thank you, Jenni!  This is something I would never have tried without you.

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty Ruth! The colours are so vibrant. Did you bake then loaves again after painting them?

    ReplyDelete